Objective: Hydatid cyst is presently a prevalent health problem in our area and country. Primary involvement of other intra-abdominal organs is rarely seen. We analyzed the cases of patients who had been surgically treated because of extra-hepatic primary intra-abdominal hydatid cysts alongside with literature.
Methods: The medical records of a total of 22 patients who were treated for primary intra-abdominal hydatid cysts with no liver involvement were retrospectively studied.
Results: While 16 (72.7%) of the patients were female, 6 (27. 3%) were male, and their mean age was 44. 5 (26- 75) years. The cyst was most frequently seen in the spleen (n= 8). All the patients had elective surgical procedures. Twelve (54%) patients needed to have organ resection. Total cyst excision could be achieved in 16 (72.7%) patients. The other 6 (27.3%) cases had partial cystectomy. All the patients were administered post-op 10 mg/kg albendazole. The mean follow-up period of the patients was 40 (6-68) months and no recurrences were seen in any of the patients.
Conclusions: The fact that echinococcus granulosus can involve every organ should always be remembered. Although no hydatid cysts were seen in the liver or the lungs, all the other systems should be examined carefully according to the complaints of the patient. Hydatid cysts should be considered, especially in endemic areas, in the differential diagnosis of cystic masses with intra-abdominal localization. Total pericystectomy where possible, is the treatment of choice.