Evaluation of dermatological disorders among admittances to a 112 emergency services in a year
Kemal Özyurt 1 * , Selim Bozkurt, Perihan Oztürk, Halit Baykan, Mehmet Okumus
More Detail
1 Sütçü Imam University, Medical Faculty, Department of Dermatology Kahramanmaraş, Turkey* Corresponding Author

Abstract

Objective: This study aimed to determine the clinical characteristics of the patients admitted to 112 emergency services with dermatological disorders in Kayseri city in 2011.
Methods: Data were obtained from the records of Emer­gency Health Care Services Department. Dermatological reasons for calling the 112 emergency services and der­matological cases diagnosed by physicians of 112 emer­gency services were recorded. Kayseri has a population for about 1.25 million. Kayseri 112 emergency services contain 45 physicians, 224 healthcare personnel.
Results: In 2011, 2 405 367 calls were occurred in Kay­seri, 112 Emergency Service. Of these calls 920 502 (37.5%) real and necessary calls and the rest 1 484 865 (62.5%) were unnecessary calls. A total of 52472 (5.7% of real calls) cases were determined in real calls. Of the cases, 600 (1.14 % of real calls) patients with derma­tological disorders were observed. The most common dermatological reason for calling the 112 emergency ser­vices was other insect bite (396 calls, 66%) and the most diagnosed dermatological case was other insect bite (396 cases, 66%). Total number of calls about burn were 131 (21,8 %), pruritus were 29 (4.83%), skin wound or infec­tion 18 (3%), bee bite 17 (2.83%), scorpion bite 9 (1.5%).
Conclusion: Dermatological disorders in 112 Emergency Service are not rare. Further studies are needed involving the 112 Emergency Service and Emergency Departments in hospitals.

License

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Article Type: Research Article

J Clin Exp Invest, 2013, Volume 4, Issue 1, 47-50

https://doi.org/10.5799/ahinjs.01.2013.01.0232

Publication date: 14 Mar 2013

Article Views: 2204

Article Downloads: 824

Open Access References How to cite this article