Duodenal Perforation by an Ingested Nail
Cihan Bedel 1, Önder Tomruk 1, Sadiye Yolcu 2, Levent Albayrak 2 *
More Detail
1 Suleyman Demirel University, Department of Emergency Medicine, Isparta/Turkey2 Bozok University, Department of Emergency Medicine, Yozgat/Turkey* Corresponding Author

Abstract

Foreign body ingestion is a rare gastrointestinal entity in adults. Foreign bodies generally do not cause any complications and pass through the gastrointestinal tract spontaneously within a week. 10%-20% of them need endoscopic management, and about 1% of them require surgery. In adults, foreign body ingestion can also occur, especially in people with intellectual disabilities, alcoholics, and in those without teeth, but it also can result from accidental swallowing. We present a case of foreign bodies ingestion by a mentally retarded patient with perforation of duodenum.

License

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Article Type: Case Report

J Clin Exp Invest, 2018, Volume 9, Issue 3, 135-136

https://doi.org/10.5799/jcei.458763

Publication date: 23 Sep 2018

Article Views: 1714

Article Downloads: 1153

Open Access References How to cite this article