A clinico-etiological study of cervical lymphadenopathy in children with special reference to ultrasonography
Gupta Amit Kumar 1 * , Tripathi Virendra Nath, Mangal Yasoda, Agarwal Asha, Arya Arun Kumar
More Detail
1 G.S.V.M. Medical College & L. L. R & Associated Hospitals, Kanpur (U.P.)- India
* Corresponding Author

Abstract

Objectives: The aim of this study was to evaluate the etiological factors for cervical lymphadenopathy in children and the role of ultrasonography (USG) in diagnosis.
Methods: A total of 200 children of significant cervical lymphadenopathy between 3 months to18 years were pro-spectively included in a tertiary referral hospital. All subjects were evaluated by history, examination, hemogram, chest X-ray, mantoux test, fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC), acid-fast bacillus (AFB) staining, ultrasonography (USG) of lymph node. Open lymph node biopsy, bone marrow examination, serological tests were optional.
Results: A total of 84 subjects (42%) identified as benign reactive, 80 (40%) as tuberculosis, 20 (10%) chronic lym-phadenitis, 12 (6%) non-Hodgkin and 4 (2%) Hodgkin’s lymphoma by USG. However, on USG among 84 subjects of benign reactive lymphadenopathy, 60 (71.4%) were having features of benign reactive lymph node, remaining 24 (28.6%) have normal sonogram; out of 80 subjects of tuberculosis lymphadenitis 66 (82.5%) have features of tuber-culosis and rest14 (17.5%) have nonspecific ultrasound changes; among 16 subjects of lymphoma, 10 (62.5%) have features of malignancy, rest 6 (37.5%) have nonspecific changes in USG examination. Male to Female ratio was1.68:1. Cervical lymphadenopathy was most prevalent in 6 to 10 years age group.
Conclusion: Reactive lymphadenitis due to underlying acute bacterial or viral infection was the commonest cause of significant cervical lymphadenopathy in children and ultrasonography is a good noninvasive diagnostic modality, but requires other tests for definitive diagnosis.

License

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Article Type: Research Article

https://doi.org/10.5799/ahinjs.01.2010.02.0015

J Clin Exp Invest, 2010 - Volume 1 Issue 2, pp. 71-74

Publication date: 18 Aug 2010

Article Views: 1594

Article Downloads: 343

Open Access References How to cite this article